Prevalence of Mental Illness
Mental disorders are widespread in the population
- Mental illness can affect someone of any age, race, religion, or income.
- Mental illnesses are not related to a person's intelligence, nor is it the result of personal weakness, lack of character or poor upbringing.
- 1 in 4 Americans experience a mental health disorder in a given year (25%)
- 1 in 10 children have a serous mental or emotional disorder (10%)
- 1 in 17 Americans live with a serious mental illness (6%)